Sunday, December 14, 2008

Post 3 of Outside reading

Much was revealed about David in my third reading and we now see his life in phases. In his novel Mr. Sedaris has written his life in phases so we can learn about one phase and then move onto the next. I find this interesting because we can see the characteristics that stick with him through these phases. For example, his interest in men is very prominent in the chapters I have read lately and this interest does not fade out. He does change though, my reading starts as he participates in a play and ends with him hitchhiking back to his college. His prejudice though does remain, “How was it that I was important and they were not? There had to be something that separated us” (109). He still views himself as God’s gift to creation but, I think it adds to his writing style; satirical and obnoxious. Mr. Sedaris continues his feeling in his writing that everything is new to him. As he learns new things and meets new people he puts himself above these things and wonders why his family is so accepting, “’Whore’ I whispered. ‘That lady is a whore.’ I wasn’t sure what reaction I was after, but shock would have done quite nicely. Instead, my mother said, ‘Well then, we should probably offer her a drink’” (117). David describes his life as chaotic and wild. As he hitchhikes, due to no rides from his parents, the people he meets are odd. At one point he ad gotten a ride from a man named Randolph who believed in “…the enforced sterilization of redheads” (126). Using hitchhiking he travels the country and comes back again.
Women remain a topic he uses for themes. Women remain the mystery in his life, “Lisa returned in an agitated state, asking my parents if she might use the station wagon” (111). He also continues to use his family as a theme for families are only functional in fairytales. “Woken by the noise, my father wandered up from the basement… His approach generally marked the end of the party” (118). His family works together because they lie and are all poised to hear lies and let them go. David is an avid liar as well. He uses his lies as a way to tell show that the truth gets you nowhere. “I hadn’t planned on lying, but it seemed a good move to embellish my stories” (131).

No comments: